Friday, March 16, 2007

Do not idle



I saw Bhagavan for the first time in my 7th year, and again after my marriage when I was about 20 years old. I became a widow when I was 34 years of age and I returned to my parental home in Salem. Since then I would visit Bhagavan every month.

He once advised: Do japa, or dhyana, or Self-enquiry. Do not idle away your time.

... Eight years before Bhagavan's Mahasamadhi, I settled down in Ramana Nagar. Those were the best years of my life. Time passed most happily and I witnessed many such miracles before my very eyes.

From the memories of Gowri Ammal, p15, Unforgettable Years (A.R.Natarajan, RMCL).
(Note: Gowri Ammal was the daughter of Narayana Iyer, a staunch devotee of Bhagavan from 1922. Ammal had a deep love and reverence for Bhagavan since childhood. During the last years of Bhagavan's physical illness she settled down near the ashram in order to be near him. This long standing devotee passed away in May 1971.)