Saturday, June 10, 2006

God

This page will be updated with quotations and other teachings on Godi.

TSRM refers to Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, available online

In this entry, Ramana Maharshi quotes Nammalvar.

Nammalvar, the Vaishnavite saint, has said: “Only my Self is you”.

Bhagavan explains: What does it mean? “Before I realised my Self, I was wandering looking out for You; having now realised my Self I see that you are my Self”.
(TSRM, p304)

Ramana Maharshi speaks:

Q: How is God to be seen?

Within. If the mind is turned inward God manifests as inner consciousness.

God is in all and in the seer. Where else can God be seen? He cannot be found outside. He should be felt within. To see the objects, mind is necessary. To conceive God in them is a mental operation. But that is not real. The consciousness within, purged of the mind, is felt as God.

From Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Page 204

God as a mental conception

M.: Soul and God are only mental conceptions.
D.: Is God only a mental conception?
M.: Yes. Do you think of God in sleep?
D.: But sleep is a state of dullness.
M.: If God be real He must remain always. You remain in sleep and in wakefulness - just the same. If God be as true as your Self, God must be in sleep as well as the Self. This thought of God arises only in the wakeful state. Who thinks now?

People interested in God and Divine Union should find the following links inspiring:
The life and message of Tukaram a great Indian saint who lived in the 17th century.
Yogi Ram Surat Kumar's message for all - this realized soul lived in Tiruvannamalai, his sayings are very inspiring to those who love God
How to realize God
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhakti_movement

Mirabai's love for Krishna is epitomized by the popular belief about her final disappearance in the temple of Krishna in Dwarka. She is believed to have entered the sanctum of the temple in a state of singing ecstacy.
The sanctum doors are believed to have closed on their own and when later opened, the sari of Mirabai was seen enwrapped around the idol of lord Krishna, symbolizing the culmination of her union with her lord.

Mirabai
Life of Manikkavachagar
Unity

You are a future Buddha, you are a flower of love.
You are divine and beautiful, you are in God in love.


That dark Dweller in Braj
Is my only refuge.
O my companion,
Worldly comfort is an illusion,
As soon you get it, it goes.
I have chosen the Indestructible for my refuge,
Him whom the snake of death
Will not devour.

My Beloved dwells in my heart,
I have actually seen that Abode of Joy.
Mira's Lord is Hari, the Indestructible.
My Lord, I have taken refuge with Thee,
Thy slave.
-- Mirabai

See Isha Upanishad