Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Time is a succession of moments

Q: It takes time to know oneself.
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: How can time help you? Time is a succession of moments; each moment appears out of nothing and disappears into nothing, never to reappear. How can you build on something so fleeting?
Q: What is permanent?
NM: Look to yourself for the permanent. Dive deep within and find what is real in you.
Q: How to look for myself?
NM: Whatever happens, it happens to you. What you do, the doer is in you. Find the subject of all that you are as a person.
Q: What else can I be?
NM: Find out. Even if I tell you that you are the witness, the silent watcher, it will mean nothing to you, unless you find the way to your own being.
Q: My question is: How to find the way to one's own being?
NM:

Give up all questions except one: "Who am I"?

After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The "I am" is certain. The " I am this" is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality.