Sunday, October 01, 2006

Shirdi Sai and Siva

A kind friend brought to notice that Shirdi Sai (c. September 27, 1838 - October 15, 1918), a very popular Indian saint, was a Shiva Dattatreya incarnation. According to wikipedia, many of His Hindu followers considered that. He had a large Muslim following too.


Sai Baba made eleven assurances to his devotees:
  1. Whosoever puts their feet on Shirdi soil, their sufferings will come to an end.
  2. The wretched and miserable will rise to joy and happiness as soon as they climb the steps of the mosque.
  3. I shall be ever active and vigorous even after leaving this earthly body.
  4. My tomb shall bless and speak to the needs of my devotees.
  5. I shall be active and vigorous even from my tomb.
  6. My mortal remains will speak from my tomb.
  7. I am ever living to help and guide all who come to me, who surrender to me and who seek refuge in me.
  8. If you look to me, I look to you.
  9. If you cast your burden on me, I shall surely bear it.
  10. If you seek my advice and help, it shall be given to you at once.
  11. There shall be no want in the house of my devotee.

His eleven famous sayings are:

  1. No harm shall befall him who sets his foot on the soil of Shirdi.
  2. He who cometh to My Samadhi, his sorrow and suffering shall cease.
  3. Though I be no more in flesh and blood, I shall ever protect My devotees.
  4. Trust in Me and your prayer shall be answered.
  5. Know that My Spirit is immortal. Know this for yourself.
  6. Show unto Me he who sought refuge and been turned away.
  7. In whatever faith men worship Me, even so do I render to them.
  8. Not in vain is My Promise that I shall ever lighten your burden.
  9. Knock, and the door shall open. Ask and ye shall be granted.
  10. To him who surrenders unto Me totally I shall be ever indebted.
  11. Blessed is he who has become one with Me.
Please read the full wikipedia entry here

--
http://ramanashramam.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhagavanramana/